Did you know? Austin is where to be in 2017 – Economists say 2017 will be another strong year for Austin. With at least 30,000 newcomers moving to the area every year and 100 every day
( v i a )
Austin, Texas is packed to the rims right now for SXSW. The festival goes from March 10th – March 19th and is loaded with all kinds of events including movie premieres, concerts, networking parties, fashion meet ups, comedy shows, food & brunches, film screenings, speakers, & people snap chatting… among other things.
It’s a time when I’m proud to live in Austin. The weather is nice, people enjoy all parts of the city & they come from everywhere.
I wanted to make a quick list of things to do in Austin if you’re visiting & don’t have a SXSW access badge OR you want a break from all the SXSW activities & want to experience more of what Austin has to offer.
This list is quick & to the point! But I highly recommend anything you can get checked off, whether you’re visiting now or in the future this list will work all year long.
20 Things To Do In Austin – Checklist!
- Mount Bonnell or Pennybacker Bridge – Take a hike up either of these two spots for soothing views of Austin’s water
- Walk across South Congress bridge for pretty city views or an occasional bat
- A picture & coffee at the “I love you so much” sign at Jo’s coffee on South Congress
- EAT on South Congress – Home Slice Pizza, Hopdoddy Burger Bar, Vespaio, South Congress Café, Guero’s, Perla’s, Café No Se
- If you’re hot, head to Barton Springs Pool near Zilker Park
- Eat a sweet dessert at Amy’s Ice Cream
- Check out the calendar for ACL Live performances
- Attend an Esther Follies show on 6th Street, if you can grab tickets before they’re gone!
- Walk 6th street in the evening & grab a drink… or a doughnut at Voodoo’s Doughnuts
- Enjoy drinks, yard games, and live music on Rainy Street – a block of houses turned bars
- Peter Pan Mini Golf because BYOB, close to downtown, & a little competition is always a good idea
- Take a walk through Zilker Park or Lady Bird Lake Hike & Bike Trail
- Rent a canoe or paddle board off Lady Bird Lake
- Eat BBQ at Lambert’s, on 2nd Street – then grab a drink & head upstairs for live music
- Find live music anytime on 6th street, Rainy Street, or South Congress
- Try a breakfast Taco at Torchy’s Tacos or Tacodeli
- Also, can’t leave without a couple rounds of Queso – always order it off the menu…
- If time permits, check out Austin’s second downtown: The Domain. Tons of shopping, entertainment & food!
- Near The Domain – Top Golf (fun for even the worst golfers)
- If you’re in Austin for awhile, drive out to Fredericksburg for wine tasting or hike Enchanted Rock / If hiking isn’t your thing, head to San Marcos Outlets for major shopping (<< dangerous)
Let me know if you have anything to add! Even though I’ve lived here for what feels like forever I’m constantly discovering new things in this ever changing city.
Have a great rest of the week & as always, be thoughtful…